UNISON Edinburgh WWW
UNISON City of Edinburgh Branch


About us

Join Us




Pay and Conditions

Edinburgh Equal Pay - Frequently Asked Questions

February 2012 (Please see new FAQs March 2012)

1. I already have a claim lodged; do I need a new one now?

If you claimed after Modernising pay came in (October 2010) you do not need to claim again. If you have an old claim from before Modernising pay and you want to challenge Modernising pay as well you need to submit a form. If in doubt submit a form.

2. I've had a claim in for ages when do I get my money?

Every offer from the employer is communicated immediately to the member along with advice from Thompsons. No offers have been made this year but the council have told us to expect offers very soon.

3. Why have other people got their money?

We are not aware of anyone receiving payments this year. Offers are being processed but there are literally thousands of individual offers which require specific calculations and individual legal advice. The process takes time. Every phone call we receive diverts people away from the task of processing negotiations, advice and offers.

4. Why am I only being told now?

UNISON has made every effort to promote awareness of equal pay claims through individual letters, workplace posters, leaflets, meetings, UNISON magazines and the local press. We have over 2000 claims in Edinburgh so the word has definitely reached the members very effectively

5. Why the deadline for claims?

If we are to conclude negotiations and settlement with the employer we need to know who believes they have a valid claim and to assess the chances of those claims winning. Members have had over seven years to submit claims and it is reasonable that we enter final settlement talks with the employer so those workers who have waited for years can receive the money they are due.

6. People tell me Stefan Cross are doing things differently

We cannot comment on the commercial service provided by Fox Cross. But we do have an undertaking that the settlement terms for all council employees are identical

7. I want personal advice on my claim

The only option is to complete a CASE form and send any supplementary questions to Thompsons in writing. UNISON simply gathers the CASE forms. We don't lodge the claims or do the legal work. All that is done by Thompsons

So the message is - fill in a CASE form and return ASAP






See also...